LFA Board Minutes - 2011-09-30
BOARD MEETING MINUTES
|Date:||September 30, 2011|
|Location:||Enid Cox's Home|
Opening: Stephen Livingston
- Invocation: Enid Cox
- Present: Stephen Livingston, Doug Ron Livingston, Enid Cox, Mary Ann Swalberg, Lorraine Misener and Dana Rogers . Douglas Ray, Karolyn Hall were excused. We forgot to call Dennis – woops!
Review of assignments from last meeting of the board:
- Steve had heard that when The Brethren make a decision to change something, they don’t act on it at first, but wait until the next meeting and if everyone approves, they move forward. He felt we needed to do the same with the changes made in the board assignments. He asked if we all still feel good about and it was unanimous in the affirmative.
- We talked about the purpose of the Livingston Family Association and Steve read the first paragraph to us. Our purpose is to research, compile and organize the family’s records and histories as well as the work of salvation for the living and the dead in the Temples of the Lord.
- Steve tried to get with Dave Cook to work out a revision of Bylaws to reflect the new assignments on the board for board approval. They talked but were not able to get together.
- LFA Google Group – There was much discussion about how the new Google group functions. Each member of the board needs a Gmail account and because some members did not know how to set one up or use it, Steve gave a demonstration and set Enid up with her own account. It was very interesting and all hoped we would be able to make it work. It really will help the board to communicate better. An assignment was made for each member of the board to create their own Gmail account. Mary Ann will put the minutes on Googledocs and send it to the board for review. Then she will send the minutes to Ross to put on the LFA WIKI. They will not remain on the Google group after approval.
- We still don’t have a Vice Chairman or a website manager.
- Each member of the board was asked at last meeting to find members of the family to help in their respective areas of focus.
- Doug (Ron) has pulled together a research committee:
- Jane Ann Lillywhite – Donna Bench’s daughter living in New Mexico. She is on Isabella’s line and is working to fix the errors on New Family Search.
- Darrell Peterson – Isabella’s line
- Lorraine Misener
- Mary Ann Swalberg
- Dana Rogers
- Dana has pulled together a membership/newsletter committee:
- Ann McDonald will learn from Char how to format the newsletter
- Char will continue to help with the newsletter
- Doug (Ron) has pulled together a research committee:
Research Committee Report: Ron
Ron made two proposals:
- Get a record of DNA still in Scotland. Bill Livingston in Scotland has agreed to send his DNA to the pool. An interesting note is that when Ron and Ross Livingston’s DNA were checked, they didn’t match. Ross’s did match another group by the name of Boggs that immigrated in the 1700’s. They had been told their name was Livingston and they haven’t found that information. This isn’t surprising because it is believed the Livingstons’ were once McLays. The real question stems from the fact that it is unsure if the James Livingston that Bill in Scotland descends from may be a different one than the one Granny’s descendants in the LFA family come from.
- It was moved and seconded to fund DNA testing at a cost of $339 for 111 tests.
- Purchase a set of 29 digitized maps @$20 each from the library in Scotland. The library has given specific permission to share them with the family on WIKI. By “stitching” these 29 maps together, we could see the mines, wells, neighborhoods and names as well as the people who lived in them. Ron has found the ones that would apply to our family.
- It was decided to draft a letter asking maybe 30 people in the family to donate $20 or more to this cause rather than taking the money from the LFA family funds. Moved and seconded.
- Dana Rogers said the Ancestry.com subscription is almost up. Should the family pay for another year? Dana found names using Ancestry for the temple session at the reunion, but it was decided that unless someone would take the time to find more and use it more, we wouldn’t continue to pay for the subscription right now.
Treasurer's Report: Enid
- Savings Balance as of ???? - $3,434.28
- Checking Account as of ???? – $2,153.46
- Enid gave us a listing of those who donated and we need to get more to donate.
- We need to take the names of Douglas Ron Livingston and David Cook off the signature care and add the name of Mary Ann Swalberg. Mary Ann will get with Enid to do that
Livingston Family Pictures
- Lorraine Misener continues to put names to the faces in the box of pictures that were her fathers. By meeting with George Burbidge and going through his mother’s book (Marguerite Smith Burbidge), one of the pictures matched with Annie Livingston. Also found was a handwritten copy of Annie’s history mentioning names of other members of the family. Lorraine was given an assignment to write up what she has been doing and put it on the Google group for all to see. The pictures in the box were put on the LFA WIKI but are hard to find. If we are going to get people to use the WIKI, we need to make it more “user friendly”. Lorraine felt that the mystery pictures need to be on the first page.
- Shannon James (granddaughter-in-law of Helen James, daughter of Grace Livingston Ovard) has a box of pictures. She called Dana and they will meet to go over the pictures to see if names can be matched with pictures.
- Next Meeting will be on January 8, 2012 at Mary Ann Swalberg’s home, 5541 South 235 East, Murray
- It was felt that Mary Ann’s homewas more centrally located.
- Closing Prayer – Stephen Livingston