LFA Board Minutes - 2010-10-24
BOARD MEETING MINUTES
|Date:||October 24, 2010|
|Time:||7:00 pm (MDT)|
|Location:|| Mary Ann Swalberg’s home|
5541 South 235 East
Murray, UT 84107
- Invocation David Cook
- August 08, 2010 LFA Board Meeting minutes were read and approved
Treasurer's Report: Enid
- Financial Report
- Checking Account Balance: $1,921.66
- Savings Account Balance: $3,925.40
- Signature Cards need to be updated. Signatories shall consist of the currently elected LFA officers (Chairman, Vice Chairman, Treasurer, and Secretary). Division of Corporation paperwork will be updated as it becomes due. Enid to process the required paperwork for the signature cards.
Research Director’s Report: Mary Ann
- Research Project Proposals
- Ancestry.com account was purchased at an initial cost of $199.00/year. Renewals are expected to cost $299.00/year. Dana will send the account name and password to each member of the LFA Board. The intention is to first glean all available information from internet sources before paying a professional genealogist to conduct additional research. Doug to add Van Orden/Bench database. Steve to attach names from the LFA Descendancy Project. Information for any living relatives must be protected.
- Henderson Estate Papers are available in the Scottish Archives. Whereas the Hendersons were the landowners conducting the coal mining operations in Fordel, it is presumed that the estate papers make an occasional reference to the Livingstons working in that area which may yield some genealogical information. Funding must be considered.
- Archibald <1702> Descendancy. An “official version” of our ancestry is to be created. Standards for research and procedures for protecting the accuracy of the data will need to be developed.
- Livingston/McLea DNA Project. Two family members who are male descendants of Archibald Livingston <1802> have participated in the project. DNA information from a male descendant living in Fife could shed additional light on the accuracy of our assumed ancestry. The Board is reviewing potential funding sources in order to sponsor the testing. Further work on this will probably not be pursued until after July when family members in the U.S. visit Scotland.
- Maps of Fife (Dalgety) & Lanark (Old Monkland/Bothwell/Shotts). The Scottish National Library has an extensive collection of maps. It is proposed that the LFA purchase digital copies of the relevant maps in order to assemble a report that details the place names and changes in the two areas where Livingston ancestors are known to have lived.
- LFA Online Archive/Reference Library. The vision for an online archive accessible by all family members for genealogical research was presented. This idea builds on and extends the work Ross has done in creating the LFA Wiki.
Recruiting Director’s Report: Dana
- Dana has been able to bundle the LFA Newsletters along with mailings for her own business saving the LFA some expense. Printing, stuffing, folding, labeling, and postage are all handled by the service. The suggestion was made to add the phrase “Return Address Requested” to each mailing in order to help keep our database up to date.
Social Director’s Report: Doug
- 2011 Reunion Plans. Tentative plans were made to hold the 2011 LFA Reunion at the Lehi North Stake property on the 3rd Saturday in June (18th). Dates for the Utah Highland Games have not yet been posted, but they seem to be held on the 2nd Saturday in June. Reservations must be made by a member of the stake (Ron’s son, Doug) and cannot be made until after the beginning of the year. The stake asks for a $75 deposit that will be returned if the facilities are left in good order. Activities, promotion and budget are to be during the next Board Meeting.
Miscellaneous Items: Steve
- Steve will work with educators in the family and committee members to develop the requirements for the scholarship program. Funding is TBD, but will likely be generated from contributions from interested family members.
- A letter from Audrey Livingston (Van’s wife) expressing appreciation was read. The suggestion was made to include it in our next newsletter.
- A book sent to the LFA from Robert Livingston documenting a story about the “Temple Bus” donated by a family member for the ward’s use on temple excursions was included.
- Dennis presented some of his work to list family members in the Find-a-Grave database & suggested the family consider funding a marker for Hannah Livingston.
- The LFA group on Facebook no longer has any moderators. A new group was started with moderators consisting of participating LFA Board Members. The suggestion was made to link the new group to the LFA Wiki and to eliminate the old group.
- Next Meeting January 16th, 2011 @ Doug Livingston’s home in Lehi
- Benediction Mary Ann Swalberg
Chairman Stephen B. Livingston in attendance Vice Chairman David Cook in attendance Photographer Dennis Davis in attendance via phone Recruiting Director Dana Rogers in attendance Research Director Mary Ann Swalberg in attendance Social Director Douglas Ray Livingston in attendance via phone Secretary Douglas Ron Livingston in attendance Treasurer Enid Cox in attendance Webmaster Ross Livingston absent