LFA Board Minutes - 2010-08-01
Livingston Family Association Board Meeting
Date/Time:August 1, 2010 7:00 PM
Location:Enid Cox's home
Board Members Present:Stephen Livingston, Doug Livingston (James), Dana Rogers, David Cook, Mary Ann Swalberg, Doug Livingston (William), Enid Cox
Absent:Ross Livingston, Dennis Davis
Welcome and introduction of new board member – Enid Cox
Opening Prayer – Douglas Livingston (Wm)
Minutes of April 25, 2010 meeting were read and approved
Enid gave the treasurers report.
- Checking Account Balance: $1,873.66
- Savings Account Balance: $3,920.02
Enid reported that because of some large donations by some board members and others, we did not have to transfer funds to cover reunion expenses. Expenses year to date about $800, and income from donations about $1,500.
Enid will pick up a signature card from the bank to get new signatures for the bank account.
Duties of the Board
Assignment of duties to board members – David Cook
David reviewed the By-Laws to determine duties of officers.
- Chairman, Stephen Livingston
- Vice Chairman, David Cook
- Secretary, Douglas Ron Livingston
- Treasurer, Enid Cox
- Social Director, Douglas Ray Livingston
- Research Director, Mary Ann Swalberg
- Recruiting Director, Dana Rogers (Charlene Clark will continue to help edit and publish the newsletter)
- Web Master, Ross Livingston
- Dennis Davis, Photographer
Everyone was encouraged to recruit within their own families.
It was also discussed to maybe set up some committees to get more from each side of the family involved while maintain the board over all of it.
Ted Livingston will be the "go to guy" for the trip to Scotland which is scheduled for July 17 – 27, 2011. He is in contact with Bill Livingston in Scotland who will plan all the activities there, arrange motels and hire a coach/driver. He is checking on some group rates for air fare.
Reunion Report by Doug Livingston (Wm)
Doug will write a report of the Fountain Green reunion for the newsletter .
Doug proposed making a five-year plan for reunions.
- Suggestion was made to hold the large combined reunion next year (2011) and then break it up into families for the next year (2012) and then combine again in 2013. In other words, every other year hold a large family reunion. Will this lose the momentum and what happens with donations? Will we lose momentum over all?
- Another suggestion was to hold a small family reunion on Friday and the combined on Saturday.
- Doug will check out Heber Valley Camp for next year.
- If that doesn’t work another possibility was a Stake Center in Lehi, north/east area by Cabella’s, and joining the reunion with the Scottish Festival at Thanksgiving Point.
- Another suggestion was holding the reunion in a ward in downtown Salt Lake City and visiting points of interest such as the Family History Library, Gilgal Park, etc.
- Also proposed [RL: by who?] and agreed [RL: does this mean it was seconded, and voted upon?] upon was a $500 scholarship award to the high school graduate who wrote and presented at the reunion the best family history story ???? (Stephen?) The proposal for this program will be approved and initiated in the October Newsletter. [RL: Really? $500? Why so much? What does it mean that it was "approved" but that it will be "approved and initiated" in October? Are we sure folks who have donated these funds will feel this use of the funds represents the intent of their donations? Will there be rules about who is eligible - e.g. no children of board members?]
Stephen Livingston reported that he will set up a Livingston Family Group Facebook Page. All agreed that this would be a great idea to get some youth involved.
Ancestor Research Report
Mary Ann Swalberg, Dana Rogers and Doug Livingston (James) will meet and come up with a research plan. A suggestion was made to have a "Family Search" user – as a resource for our family.
Next meeting: October 24, 2010 (put it on your calendar now) at Mary Ann Swalberg's Home, 5541 South 235 East, Murray UT 84107